Wooden Magnet depicting the amazing Warwick Vase on display at The Burrell Collection.
The Warwick Vase was found in fragments by Gavin Hamilton in 1769–1770 digging in the silts of Lake Pantanello in the grounds of the Villa Tiburtina, the villa of the Roman Emperor Hadrian outside Rome. It was restored in 1772–1774 by Grandjacquet to designs by Piranesi for Sir William Hamilton, who gave it to George Greville, Earl of Warwick. The Vase stood in the courtyard of Warwick Castle for almost two centuries until it was purchased for The Burrell Collection in 1979. A monumental marble sculpture in the form of a two-handled drinking cup, it is decorated with acting masks and motifs relating to the cult of the Roman god of wine, Bacchus (the Greek god Dionysos).