Creative Masterclass – Textiles
The Burrell Collection
Friday 17th March / Saturday 18th March 11 – 4 pm
Day 1 - £10 (£8 Concessions) Day 2 - £30 (£24 Concessions)
Join us for our next Creative Masterclass where we take a deep dive in to our world renowned tapestry collection.
On day 1 you will hear from experts in the field and find out more about the Burrell Collection tapestries and Medieval and Renaissance Tapestries in general. We will also document and discuss the artistic value, nature, and identity of 21st century tapestry as a distinctive Scottish art form with talks from Dovecot Studios.
On day 2 Dovecot Master Weavers lead this weaving workshop in which you will learn the skills and process for creating a tapestry and weave your own sample inspired by their work. Dovecot is Scotland’s world-renowned tapestry studio, which was founded in Edinburgh by the Marquis of Bute in 1912 at the same time that William Burrell was collecting tapestries.
You can book into both days or just one.
Day 1: (SOLD OUT)
- 11 am – Arrivals - Tea & Coffee.
- 11.10 – Introductions, welcomes and housekeeping
- 11.20 – Speaker 1 – Rebecca Quinten, Curator, European dress and textiles – Tapestries at the Burrell Collection
- 12:05 – Speaker 2 – Helen Wyld, Senior Curator responsible for European Textiles, medieval to 1850 and author of “The Art of Tapestry”
- 1.pm – Lunch and chance to look around the galleries
- 2.pm - return to session – tea and coffee
- 2.00 - Speaker 3 – Professor Frances Lennard - Honorary Professorial Research Fellow at University of Glasgow. – The Burrell Tapestry research project
- 2.45 – Speaker 4 – Celia Joicey – Dovecot
- 3.30 – Final Questions
Please note that timings may change
Day 2 (SOLD OUT)
- 11 – 4 pm Practical session with Master Weavers from Dovecot. All materials provided and tea and coffee will be available all day.
As this is a new programme, we will ask all participants to complete a short feedback survey at the end of each day.
Lunch is not provided. You may bring your own lunch and make use of our picnic spaces or visit the restaurant on site.